As 2010 came to a close, many were excited about beginning 2011. Economists predict that the economy should get better, especially for the unemployed. Businesses that downsized in 2010 plan on hiring again and creating more services and products for the public masses. People, in general, have created new years resolutions to do this or to do that. On January 1, as the clock struck twelve in Times Square and balloons and confetti filled the streets across the nation, the air was filled with expectancy for a brighter future ahead.
As many people hope for things to get better on this earth, in reality, they probably won’t. By the end of this year, there will probably be thousands, if not millions, out of work. Thousands more struggling to pay bills and to put food on the table. Still, thousands more may be homeless. And as statistics show everyday, thousands more people will die for various causes and reasons.
Dear friend, I hope this is not the world that you have put your hope in. I haven’t because I know that there is a better world beyond the blue skies and the wispy clouds up above. It is a world where there is no more pain, no more crying, no more hurt, and no more tears. In this world, there will be no recession, depression, unemployment, hunger, or homeless. In this world, every person will live in a mansion that was built with love and care, will walk streets that are paved with gold, and will see and worship the Saviour Who is the embodiment of hope and salvation in this life and in the life to come.
Do you want to go to this world? Do you want to be free of worldly burdens and cares and safe in the auspices of love and grace? Here is how you can know for sure you are going to Heaven:
In a world of much uncertainty, you can be certain about one thing: God knows everything about you: everything you have ever done; everything you have ever said; and every thought you have ever had. God, our Heavenly Father, is the Creator and Sustainer of the the universe. He created all humans, and cares for us and loves us deeply. When Adam and Eve, the first man and woman on earth, sinned against God in the Garden of Eden, God had to separate humanity from Himself. He did this because He is holy and cannot be associated with sin.
However, God was grieved to have to do this, and because He loves us deeply, He put a plan in motion to bring sinful humanity back to himself. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16). Our Heavenly Father gave His all to try and reestablish a relationship with us.
He sent His only son Jesus Christ to take our sins upon Himself and be punished for them on the cross of Calvary. Why did He do this? He did it for you and for me.
Nearly 2,000 years ago, God sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to the earth to suffer and die for the sins of humanity. If God hadn’t done this, we would all have to be punished for our own sins. The punishment for sin–even just one sin–is death. The Bible states in Romans 6:23 that “the wages of sin is death…“
Because Jesus Christ suffered and died for your sins and for mine, He now offers each and every one of us a free gift of eternal life. God wants us to accept this free gift, so that when we die, we can leave this earth to go and live in Heaven with Him forever. John 3:17-18 says, “For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.“
Would you like to know Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour right now? Even in the midst of uncertainty, doubt, and fear, Jesus Christ will always be with you, ready to lead you and guide you into His perfect light. Here is how to accept His free gift of salvation today:
1. Understand that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7: 20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
2. Understand that there is punishment for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Understand that without Jesus Christ, when you die, you will end up in hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
4. Understand that you cannot do anything to save yourself! Good works, attending church, living a clean life will not work. The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.”
5. Understand that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (Jesus Christ, John 3:16).
If you are willing to trust Christ as your Saviour and receive Jesus Christ’s free gift of eternal life, please pray with me the following prayer:
Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have sinned against you. For Jesus Christ’s sake, please forgive me of all of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died, was buried, and rose again for me. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart, save my soul, change my life, and fill me with your Holy Spirit today and forever. Amen.